eSports investments from NBA representatives
In 2017 the interest football clubs pay to eSports is particularly noticeable. But representatives of other sports have been interested in eSports for a long time. For example, NBA clubs have been heavily investing in the industry. Here is a short overview:
- Sacramento Kings – a pioneer; created a team NRG in November, 2015.
- A co-owner of Memphis Grizzlies purchased Immortals in the same month.
- Philadelphia 76ers representatives became investors of Team Dignitas and Team Apex in September, 2016.
- At that time the owner of Washington Wizards bought out a part of Team Liquid’s shares.
- The other part of Team Liquid’s shares was bought by a representative of Golden State Warriors at the same time.
- In the same month Boston Celtics forward bought Renegades.
- In December 2016, Milwaukee Bucks announced its intention to buy a place in the LoL league of Challenger Series.
- In the same month Houston Rockets hired an eSports development manager.
- In January 2017, Miami Heat bought out a controlling interest of Misfits.
NFL clubs are also interested in eSports. For instance, representatives of New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins purchased first two Overwatch League slots.back to list